Gaia Turbine is developing and will commercialize an innovative plug-and-play hydroelectric turbine that achieves more than 90% efficiency in wide range of working conditions, much better than the conventional turbines. The capital raised will be used to install a pilot turbine at a hydroelectric power plant in Ticino and start the commercialization efforts.
– Raised sooo much money
– Hedge funds turned VCs led every round past the B and drove the valuation to sky-high limits
– Hired and hired and hired
– 45 month payback
– Sponsored everything under the sun
– Valuation implied they’d get 100% market share and kill Salesforce and Hubspot within 5 years
– If they don’t 3x this year all is lost
– Even with $20M in the bank, only 10 months of runway left
– Beautiful creatures but not particularly durable
– Bootstrapped till profitability then raised a nominal amount of funding
– Did one round and moved back to profitability shortly thereafter
-Kept the team lean and mean and used automation wherever they could
– 20% growth this year but profitable and sustainable
– 12 month payback
– Valuation implied they’re a solid company with durable enterprise value
– They’re profitable so if they don’t hit their growth target they still get to be a company forever
– Infinite runway
– They’re an acquired taste but they get the job done and make it to the top of the mountain
Date a unicorn. Marry a donkey.
09 febbraio 2023
Oltre 400 persone in presenza, un centinaio collegate nel metaverso o in streaming, una dozzina di relatori qualificati e una ventina di startup. Sono, questi, i numeri della seconda edizione della Giornata cantonale delle startup, organizzata quest’oggi a Lugano dalla Divisione dell’economia del Dipartimento delle finanze e dell’economia (DFE), in stretta collaborazione con la Fondazione Agire.